200-Hour Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher Training Program
SEPTEMBER 2022 - FEBRUARY 2023
|Erica Merrill*||Dr. Nolan Lee|
|Bridgett Cawley Piacenti*||Michael Flockhart|
|Chrissy Gonzalez||*Lead instructors|
Awaken | Expand | Flow | Integrate
Become an active and mindful participant on your mat and in your life, while learning to teach with purpose and intention.
Chicago Athletic Club’s 200 HR Yoga Teacher Training Program provides a space to dive deeper into the rich history of Yoga, while also providing the skills and wisdom to develop and lead safe, effective, empowering, and inspiring Vinyasa Flow classes.
In this intimate, six-month program, students will have plenty of time to digest, refine and learn how to live the teachings while also creating space for self-discovery and transformation.
This well-rounded Yoga Alliance-approved curriculum includes:
- Asana Study - We will break down some of the more common yoga postures with a focus on safe alignment and modifications as well as smart and effective sequencing, helpful cues for teaching, and appropriate hands-on adjustments.
- Eight Limbs of Yoga - We will explore the ancient eight-fold path from Patanjali's Yoga Sutra, which acts as a guideline on how to live a meaningful and purposeful yogic life.
- The History of Yoga - We will examine and study the ancient and fascinating origins of Yoga.
- Pranayama - We will practice many different styles of pranayama or control of the breath, which is the source of our prana, our vital life force. The benefits of pranayama have been extensively researched and many studies have shown that breathing exercises can decrease stress, improve sleep quality, increase mindfulness, lower blood pressure and improve lung function.
- Meditation - We will study and practice various techniques of meditation including mindfulness meditation, loving-kindness meditation, silent meditation, guided meditation, and mantra.
- Anatomy and Physiology - We are extremely fortunate to have Dr. Nolan Lee on our team to teach the anatomy portion of our training. This content is curated for the yoga teacher/ practitioner and highlights essential anatomy knowledge presented in the context of yoga practice. We won’t be simply memorizing muscle names, but rather understanding how our bodies move, respond to, and transform in asana.
- Yoga Philosophy - Yoga is based upon a profound philosophy of life and consciousness which can be the subject of a lifetime of study and contemplation. We will help you begin this journey by exploring Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras as well as other classical yoga texts.
- Teaching Practice and Methodology - We believe that repetition is the best way to become comfortable teaching. Each trainee will be required to take a public class twice a week (writing a brief summary of each class) as well as observe different styles of classes. Trainees will also be spending plenty of time practicing teaching with their peers while receiving feedback from the trainers. In addition, students will be given assignments periodically to teach friends, family members, coworkers and peers.
- The Art of Sequencing - We will break down the underlying logic in effective yoga sequences.
- Subtle Body - We will discuss the subtle body or the energetic anatomy of yoga, including the Chakras, the Nadis, and the Prana Vayus.
- Seva - Each student will take part in the spiritual practice of seva or service to help those in need and to practice the skills of compassion, empathy, and generosity. This not only teaches and fulfills our own hearts but it strengthens and supports all beings. As others grow, so do we.
- Prenatal Yoga - We will explore the specific needs of pregnant yoga students throughout the various stages of their journey.
- The Business of Yoga - We will cover how to maintain integrity while navigating the challenges of pursuing yoga as a business.
- Boundaries and Self-Care for yoga teachers - As yoga teachers, it is extremely important to maintain a personal practice and incorporate self-care. We will talk about the challenges that can come from teaching yoga full-time, and the various ways to effectively navigate a busy yoga career, family, and personal time, highlighting the importance of daily rituals, self-practice, and daily meditation.