200-Hour Yoga Alliance Certified Program
September 2019 - February 2020
|Erica Merrill*||Dr. Nolan Lee|
|Chrissy Gonzalez*||Michael Flockhart|
|Bridgett Cawley Piacenti||*Lead instructors|
Awaken | Expand | Flow | Integrate
Become an active and mindful participant on your mat and in your life, while learning to teach with purpose and intention.
Chicago Athletic Club’s 200 HR Yoga Teacher Training Program provides a space to dive deeper into the rich history of Yoga, while also providing the skills and wisdom to develop and lead safe, effective, empowering and inspiring Vinyasa Flow classes.
In this intimate, six month program, students will have plenty of time to digest, refine and learn how to live the teachings while also creating space for self discovery and transformation.
This well-rounded Yoga Alliance approved curriculum includes:
- Asana Study - We will break down some of the more common yoga postures with a focus on safe alignment and modifications as well as smart and effective sequencing, helpful cues for teaching and appropriate hands on adjustments.
- Eight Limbs of Yoga - We will explore the ancient eight-fold path from Patanjali's Yoga Sutra, which acts as a guideline on how to live a meaningful and purposeful yogic life.
- The History of Yoga - We will examine and study the ancient and fascinating origins of Yoga.
- Pranayama - We will practice many different styles of pranayama or control of the breath, which is the source of our prana, our vital life force.
- Meditation - We will study and practice various techniques of meditation including mindfulness meditation, loving-kindness meditation, silent meditation, guided meditation and mantra.
- Anatomy and Physiology - We are extremely fortunate to have Dr. Nolan Lee on our team to teach the anatomy portion of our training. This content is curated for the yoga teacher/ practitioner and highlights essential anatomy knowledge presented in the context of yoga practice. We won’t be simply memorizing muscle names, but rather understanding how are bodies move, respond to and transform in asana.
- Yoga Philosophy - Yoga is based upon a profound philosophy of life and consciousness which can be the subject for a lifetime of study and contemplation. We will help you begin this journey by exploring Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras as well as other classical yoga text.
- Teaching Practice and Methodology - We believe that repetition is the best way to become comfortable teaching. Each trainee will be required to take a public class twice a week (writing a brief summary of each class) as well as observe different styles of classes. Trainees will also be spending plenty of time practice teaching with their peers while receiving feedback from the trainers. In addition, students will be given assignments periodically to teach friends, family members, coworkers and peers.
- The Art of Sequencing - We will break down the underlying logic in effective yoga sequences.
- Ayurveda and Subtle Body - Ayurveda is known as the sister science to yoga. We will discuss the benefits of incorporating certain ayurvedic principles in our teachings as well as in our self care practices. We will also discuss the subtle body or the energetic anatomy of yoga, including the Chakras, the Nadis, and the Prana Vayus.
- Seva - Each student will take part in the spiritual practice of seva or service to help those in need and to practice the skills of compassion, empathy, and generosity. This not only teaches and fulfills our own hearts but it strengthens and supports all beings. As others grow, so do we.
- Prenatal Yoga - We will explore the specific needs of the pregnant yoga student throughout the various stages of their journey.
- The Business of Yoga - We will cover how to maintain integrity while navigating the challenges of pursuing yoga as a business.
- Boundaries and Self Care for yoga teachers - As yoga teachers, it is extremely important to maintain a personal practice and incorporate self care. We will talk about the challenges that can come from teaching yoga full time, and the various ways to effectively navigate a busy yoga career, family and personal time, highlighting the importance of daily rituals, self practice and daily meditation.